Join me in Kenya for a Maasai Mara Photo Safari. An Experience of a Lifetime
*** Now taking bookings for June and October 2024 ***
7 night/8 day package for US$3,760
Maasai Mara Photo Safari. What I offer.
The quality of animal sightings and the photographic opportunities in the Maasai Mara are second to none as a result of both the abundance of animals in the Mara and, with the appropriate guides and permits, the ability to go “off-road”. Therefore, a Maasai Mara photo safari will ensure that you are always up close and personal with the animals, no matter where they are.
I am a passionate wildlife lover and an award winning wildlife photographer. I regularly arrange small groups of both photographers and non-photographers to accompany me on a safari in the Mara staying at the Oltepesi Tented Safari Camp. Typically these groups are a maximum of 3 people, including myself. However, larger groups of families and friends travelling together are certainly also possible.
A safari is a great experience which I love sharing with others. I will assist you with all the logistics related to the trip as well as ensure that your stay in the Mara is a memorable one and an experience that you will never forget.
If you are looking for a personal, full-on, dawn to dusk Maasai Mara photo safari experience, then this safari is undoubtedly for you!
If, however, you are specifically looking for an experience that is more luxurious and relaxing, perhaps with multiple destinations in Africa, please see my African Safari Adventures page.
Oltepesi Tented Safari Camp
There are many camps to stay at in the Maasai Mara, ranging from very basic tent accommodation to luxurious lodges with pools.
However, for all the reasons below, I choose to stay at the Oltepesi Tented Safari Camp and all the images on this website were taken while on Safari with Oltepesi.
Oltepesi Tented Safari Camp is a specialist photographic safari camp in the Maasai Mara founded in 2017 by award winning, Norwegian wildlife Photographer, Arnfinn Johansen and his Masai partner John Siololo.
The camp is impeccably clean and comfortable but has no frills like swimming pools or lounges overlooking a river. This is because at Oltepesi, you are out all day on safari and, for this reason, the luxury frills are unnecessary.
Each tent has its own private bathroom and shower facility. There is a communal dining room and lounge.
The food, in particular dinner in the dining tent, is outstanding. A picnic style breakfast and lunch is enjoyed in the bush.
The Oltepesi experience is designed to meet the needs of professional wildlife photographers, nature photo enthusiasts and, especially, wildlife lovers.
Significantly, Oltepesi offers the very best guides in the Maasai Mara, all of whom have many years experience working with nature photographers.
With the abundance of wildlife, the best Maasai guides, off-road permits and lastly, specially modified vehicles for low-angle photography, the opportunities to capture amazing wildlife images are second to none. Consequently, Oltepesi clients have taken many award winning images.
In addition, the camp includes full-day game drives as standard and at no extra cost to ensure that you are always out where the action is and in the very best light.
The cost for a 7 night/8 day package is US$3,760 per person. Thereafter, each additional night is US$470.
- Transfers between Mara Olkiombo Airstrip and the camp
- Accommodation in your own safari tent with ensuite bathroom at Oltepesi Tented Safari Camp
- Food and drinks, full board (alcohol is extra)
- Private safari vehicle specially modified for photography and for our exclusive use. We will not be mixed in a vehicle with other guests in the camp
- Full day safaris. Returning to camp during the day would only be if you want to
- Professional and highly skilled Maasai guide
- Reserve fee for Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Off-road permit
- Photographic guidance and tuition as well as Adobe Lightroom workshops, if required
- Assistance and advice on local flights to/from the Mara and pre/post safari accommodation and travel planning
- A guaranteed great time
- International flight to Nairobi and return domestic flight from Nairobi to Mara Olkiombo Airstrip which costs around US$400
- Taxi/Transportation in Nairobi. Cost is around US$100 to US$150
- Hotel in Nairobi, if needed. Around US$200 a night per room.
- Travel insurance and cancellation insurance
- Any costs of personal matters, tips and gratuities and other expenses not specified as included
To help you with some planning, please see this suggested 8 day/7 night Safari itinerary.
For more information about Oltepesi and to request a very detailed brochure, please get in touch.
For remainder of 2023, my safaris are fully booked.
For 2024, I have the following Safaris planned :
Feb/Mar 2024 – No availability
June 2024 – Availability from Jun 7th to 23rd 2024.
Oct 2024 – Availability for 1 person 15th to 25th October, or part thereof and for 2 people from 26th Oct to 2nd November
Please contact me if you are interested in joining or if you have any questions and I will send you all the information.
A week in the Masai Mara
Please turn your volume up. The music is nice.
And a Cheetah hunt video…
Videos with thanks to one of my guests, Amy Sender, who filmed all the scenes using just an iPhone